If you have installed to a newer version of ESXi on your Gen8 Micro Server and are now suffering from very low performance disk speed, try the following steps to downgrade to a former hpvsa-driver (scsi-hpvsa-5.5.0-88).
Just follow these simple steps:
- Download the driver and unpack the archive named hpvsa-5.5.0-88.zip
- Stop all VMs that are currently running on your machine.
- Enable SSH connections to your server in the GUI
- Copy „scsi-hpvsa-5.5.0-88OEM.5184.108.40.2061820.x86_64.vib“ to the /tmp directory (just use WinSCP for that) – In my case, this file is 699 KB.
- Start a Session to your server (using Putty)
- change directory to /tmp
- Copy the vib file to /var/log/vmware
1cp scsi-hpvsa-5.5.0-88OEM.5220.127.116.111820.x86_64.vib /var/log/vmware/
- Start the „Maintenance mode“
1esxcli system maintenanceMode set --enable true
- Deinstall the running scsi-hpvsa driver
1esxcli software vib remove -n scsi-hpvsa -f
- Install scsi-hpvsa-5.5.0-88
1esxcli software vib install -v file:scsi-hpvsa-5.5.0-88OEM.518.104.22.1681820.x86_64.vib --force --no-sig-check --maintenance-mode
- Restart your ESXi, stop the maintenance mode, disable SSH connections and start VMs again
Hope that helps for you as well.