You can easily prepare any ISO file to be booted from an USB thumb drive, by following the simple steps below:
- Download UNetBootin from http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
- Connect a USB drive that can be deleted during this process. Make sure, no important data is currently on this stick!
- Start UNetBootin – no need to install
- Select „DiskImage“ and „Type ISO“
- Choose the downloaded ISO file of ESXi (or any other installation media on .iso) here.
- Go for „USB Drive“ as „Type“ and double check, that you have selected the right drive letter here.
- Press „Okay“ and wait for the process to be done.
- Use this USB thumb drive to boot your installation media from.