The Botanical Garden
The Botanical Garden is maintained by the Ruhr University Bochum. The garden was founded in 1968 and subsequently has been continuously expanded and improved. It opened to the public in 1971, with later developments as follows: tropical house, 1976; desert house, 1988; Chinese garden, 1990; savannah houses, 2000. The garden’s fenced, outdoors area (13,000 m²) cultivates plants organized into geobotanical regions, including forests, coasts, meadows, prairies, and marshes from the Americas, Asia, and Europe. It also contains an alpine garden and succulent garden. Its Chinese garden (1000 m²) was created from 1986-1990, and renovated in 2001, by skilled gardeners donated by the Tongji University in Shanghai as a sign of friendship. It is named Qian Yuan (Qian Garden), reflecting a memory of poet Tao Qian (365-427 AD), and laid out in the southern Chinese style. A pond covers half its area. The garden’s greenhouses (total area 3,500 m²) contain collections of succulent Euphorbia (350 species), other succulents, Cycadaceae, Canary Island plants, Eriocaulaceae (5 species), and alpine plants.
Bochum, Botanical Garden
The Chinese Pavilion in the Botanical Garden
The Chinese Garden is called „QIAN YUAN“. It is a special treasure within the Botanical Garden. It looks like a classical southern Chinese scholar’s garden and was donated to the Ruhr University in 1990 by their partner university, the Tongji University of Shanghai. For further information please visit the page of the Society for the Chinese Garden.
„Botanischer Garten der Ruhr-Universität Bochum“. (2013, August 20). In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved 18:48, January 12, 2014, from Wikipedia.